Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Advent 6552 Laptop Vista Drivers (SOLVED)
23-06-2010, 10:56 AM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2010 11:38 AM by Techmonkey.)
Advent 6552 Laptop Vista Drivers (SOLVED)
Why do people buy cheap crappy laptops Sad

Ok that said I have an Advent 6552 laptop I am helping a friend with. The hard disk died entirely and he has no recovery disks etc.

No probs I can get the OS on (Vista Home Premium), however I am having trouble with finding device drivers for some of the hardware.

The devices I have issue with are:

Standard VGA Graphics Adapter:
Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A42&SUBSYS_99501019&REV_07

Network Adapter: (Potentially a Realtek TTL8101 Family)
Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8136&SUBSYS_90AE1019&REV_02

Wireless Adapter:
Hardware ID: USB\VID_0PB0&PID_6877&REV_0001

SM Bus Controller:
Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2930&SUBSYS_90AE1019&REV_03

Video Controller
Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A43&SUBSYS_99501019&REV_07

Now I have found the drivers on the TechGuys website and installed them (they only provide 2 drivers...wow great ) the 2 drivers they do give you dont work anyway as they install but in device manager the network card has a yellow exclamation and it's status says "This device could not start (code 10).

I have also found several drivers at NetBump.com but they were all for XP not Vista and when tried they wont install as they are not for this version of Windows.

The laptop came with Vista so there should be vista drivers out there.

- Techmonkey
================
Enterprise Business IT Support | SME IT Support | Home Support Available
Send this user an email Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Acer 6552 Laptop Vista Drivers (SOLVED)
Think you need to change the post title?

Check Out Car Hire in Leeds and don't forget to check out my personal blog Fearless Shultz
Send this user an email Find all posts by this user
23-06-2010, 01:13 PM
check out this post, seems to have some good info on finding advent drivers. http://www.adventsupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=387

Follow me on Twitter
My Blog
Follow me on mFlow
Gamertag - Davotronic 5000
24-06-2010, 11:16 AM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2010 11:29 AM by Techmonkey.)
(23-06-2010 12:48 PM)Fearless_Shultz Wrote:  Think you need to change the post title?

qeh?

Anyhow after an unbelievable amount of time I managed to get the network card driver \o/ which then allowed me to use a free program called Device Doctor which then correctly identified some of the other devices and gave me download links for the drivers.

Then there was some more hunting round for the wireless driver, which I eventually found at ralinktech.com

Now just in case anyone else comes accross this post and needs the drivers I have uploaded them all here:

Audio : Download
LAN : Download
WLAN : Download
Chipset & Video : Download

If you do come across this post and find these links useful, please let me know by posting a thanks Smile

- Techmonkey
================
24-06-2010, 11:27 AM
RE: Acer 6552 Laptop Vista Drivers (SOLVED)
Think Fearless was getting at the title relating to an Acer computer and then you say its an Advent within your post...

[Image: Hedges78.png]
And a plug for the company I used to work for, because it's always nice to spread the link love. Wink
High Quality UK Car Hire with Sixt
Send this user an email Find all posts by this user
24-06-2010, 11:39 AM
RE: Acer 6552 Laptop Vista Drivers (SOLVED)
(24-06-2010 11:27 AM)hedges Wrote:  Think Fearless was getting at the title relating to an Acer computer and then you say its an Advent within your post...

Good call Hedges and Shultz, easy mistake as both are terrible laptop manufacturers.

This particular one is prime example of bad hardware design and support. The only vents it has for air are on the bottom and there arent any feet on it, so sit it on a desk for 60 mins and it seriously starts to over heat lol

- Techmonkey
================