Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered (SOLVED)
06-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered (SOLVED)
I am not sure where to put this at?

today , I was playing world of warcraft on the same PC i have been playing it on for 2 years, and all of a sudden out of the blue, the screen became all pixelated and froze up, then an error bubbled popped up down in the corner that said "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered" and at this point a few different things happen, either the game freezes for a few minutes then continues working, or the computer crashes out right.

I have used the check / repair WoW tool that comes with world of warcraft, I have deleted and reinstalled the driver, and it seems to still be happening to me randomly, does anyone have any idea what the problem might be here?
Send this user an email Find all posts by this user
07-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Hey Zombie,

Will admit this is a new error to me, but have just being doing a little reading on the problem.

From what I read while it is reported as a driver error, this may not be true and it could also be a problem with ATI chipsets on some cards.

What model Graphics card do you have?

Also you could try a utility to completely remove the ATI drivers as sometimes they leave older files behind or do not completely overwrite them with the latest dll's

So this is the one I used in the past and how to get best results

Quote:Download the latest version of your drivers, but dont install them yet!

Anyways Download a copy of Nasty File Remover from http://majorgeeks.com/Nasty_File_Remover_d3233.html

Install it but dont run it yet.

Right click on My Computer and select manage, then expand the Device Manager option.

Double click on your display adapter and then choose Uninstall for your graphics card.

Do not reboot if asked.

Go in to Add/Remove programs and uninstall anything that mentions ATI or Nvidia depending on which graphics card you have.

Again dont reboot if asked.

Now go to your C: and your C:\program Files and again look for any folders called ATI or Nvidia depending on what model GFX card you have. Delete these folders and their contents.

Now run NFR and once again depending on whether it is ATI or Nvidia, select the appropriate option and unclick the custom option.

Now I cant quite remember the next step and cant run the program without accidentally removing my own graphics drivers, but you need to make sure it is only deleting gfx drivers in the list and not any motherboard drivers if you have an Nvidia motherboard too.

Choose the option to delete the files.

then restart your computer, if prompted to re-install the GFX after the restart, click cancel, then run NFR again and repeat the same process you did before.

Run NFR another 2 times to make sure it cant delete any more files.

now restart again and click cancel to the prompts regarding new hardware found. Run the driver install you downloaded earlier, then reboot and you should be good to go!

- Techmonkey
================
Enterprise Business IT Support | SME IT Support | Home Support Available
Send this user an email Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-06-2010, 06:35 AM
it is a ATI radeon HD 3650, I will try the driver full uninstall / reinstall in the morning as tonight it is a bit late, and will see if that helps,
08-06-2010, 04:15 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2010 04:24 PM by zombiesatemydog.)
Ok, I uninstalled my video driver as per your instructions and reinstalled it, will give it a little time now and see if it still happens, will post a reply and let you know.
well, that didnt take long, I tried to boot up world of warcraft, as soon as I did, it once again became pixelated and froze up, only this time instead of recovering or just rebooting, it gave me a blue screen which didnt stay up very long, all I could read were the first few words which said something like windows has stopped working, and then it rebooted my computer, and gave me the same blue screen again, then when I rebooted it again, it started up just fine.

this is really puzzling and annoying Sad
09-06-2010, 10:42 AM
What a nightmare obvisouly you are using a PC, but this Lenovo article seems to ring true with everything your experiencing and suggests some hints andf workarounds

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.w...MIGR-71851

Also this page details more information on the problem and has some extra tips.

http://lnv.lithium.com/t5/T400-T500-and-...B32E5BC087

- Techmonkey
================
Enterprise Business IT Support | SME IT Support | Home Support Available
09-06-2010, 03:46 PM
yea, that pretty much sums up what I am experiencing , all thought as you said I am on a PC, and I am not using aero, so I dont really know if any of those work arounds apply to me, 1 thing did stand out to me.

""the notebook being docked and the external monitor being connected via DVI.""

my computer is connected to the monitor with a DVI cable instead of an AVG cable, could this some how cause the problem?

also, since this seems to have just popped up out of no where, and was working fine for 2 years, do you think a factory restore might help the issue? I know this seems like a pretty radical step, but since it worked fine w/ no problems for 2 whole years, this might take it back to that state?
10-06-2010, 09:13 AM
Jumping in... last time I encountered this (literally exactly this symptom and game), it turned out to be hardware; in my case, that the motherboard was struggling to hold PCI-E x16 and kept reverting down to x1.

At the time, it was my silly fault for being too aggressive with overclocking, but you do need to consider hardware options as well. Basic starting point; always worth pulling the side off the pc, make sure there's no obviously leaking capacitors (normally they should be smooth silver on top, but will appear brown/yellow and gooey if dying) and blow any dust out of the fans.

Give me liberty, or give me death - Patrick Henry 1775.
Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too - Evelyn Beatrice Hall 1906
I spread my wings, only to find that they are paper in the rain - Neko 2006
10-06-2010, 02:46 PM
ok, ill pop it open and check out the hardware inside, and look for any leaking or bulged caps, aside from the caps, what else could it be or I should look at next ? motherboard, CPU , memory, video card etc?

Huh
13-06-2010, 09:58 AM
In the absence of obvious physical damage/dust blockage... tough. Although I have never in my life encountered a defective or failing CPU, and I would stake my bets on either motherboard or graphics card. The latter is probably easiest to swap out for a spare and makes sense to start with that Smile

Give me liberty, or give me death - Patrick Henry 1775.
Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too - Evelyn Beatrice Hall 1906
I spread my wings, only to find that they are paper in the rain - Neko 2006
14-06-2010, 11:39 PM
ok, had some interesting stuff happen, I tried a factory restore just to say ive tried everything before buying a new video card, and it still does the same thing, however, now I might have some more information to go on, first thing, a little box popped up that said windows could try and help fix my problem, and this is everything that was listed in the box.

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.2
Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem
WD-20100614-1349.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

View a temporary copy of these files
Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 117
BCP1: 841B4510
BCP2: 9B33D18E
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 768_1

also, I noticed that when I go to the page that has my driver for download , here - http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/P...%20Edition

it says it is driver 10.5 and dated 5/26/2010 but after uninstalling and reinstalling it, and even doing a factory restore it comes up as version 10.1 and is dated 5/4/2010.

not sure if this information is helpful for not, but hopefully it can shed some light, if after this new info you still think it is the physical video card, I will get a new one and try it out.
Thread Closed